Fluffiest Naan Bread
Bread is second love after chocolate cake, so when I didn’t have and couldn’t go to the shop, this was the quickest way for me to make bread and have lunch. This naan, requires no yeast but it’s really good and fluffy, also very easy to make.
I hope you will enjoy using my take on it.
250g Self-Raising Flour (plus 4 teaspoons for kneading)
1 Teaspoon (5g) Baking Powder
½ Teaspoon Sea Salt
1 Teaspoon Castor Sugar
215g Greek Yoghurt
1 Tablespoon Oil
2 Tablespoons Milk
1 – 2 Clove Garlic, minced
Gee or Butter
- In a large mixing bowl, sift in flour, add baking powder, salt and sugar and mix well. Then make a well in the centre, add oil followed by the yoghurt and 1 tablespoon of milk.
- Use a wooden spoon to roughly mix everything, add the remaining milk, mix and start kneading with your hands, and add flour when the dough gets too sticky to handle. Knead for about 3 to 5 minutes.
- You will know that the dough is ready when you slightly press a finger on it and it springs back. Using both your hands fold the dough to shape it into a round ball. Put it back in the mixing bowl, and cover with a cling wrap, and let rest for 30 minutes to 3 hours.
- After the dough has rested, take it out of the bowl into a floured surface, shape it into a round ball again, slightly flatten it and cut or divide into 4 equal pieces.
- Use a rolling pin to roll each piece into an oval shaped naan, it doesn’t have to be a perfect shape.
- Sprinkle or scatter the garlic, onion seeds and coriander on the rolled and shaped dough, then roll it one more time with the rolling pin, to ensure that the toppings stick to the naan.
- Meanwhile, preheat a large griddle pan or a large non-stick frying pan, on medium heat.
- Grease the pan with butter or gee, then place the naan dough over the heated pan, cook each side for 2 to 3 minutes, using a spatula or pancake flipper to flip each side. You should turn it for the first time when you see bubbles.
- Brush the side with toppings with melted butter or gee. Keep it warm while making others.
- Serve while hot\warm.