A ‘NO NUT’ GRANOLA
After sharing my Homemade Granola recipe earlier this year, someone on social media asked if they could take out the nuts in the recipe as they typically don’t like granolas, because of how nuts make it hard to chew. At the time, I could not answer that question truthfully, as I hadn’t try it myself. Therefore, I said, it might work but I wouldn’t know.
Ever since that day, I have been meaning to try to make a granola without nuts, just to try it out. And yesterday was the day. I must confess; it was indeed hard for me not to add nuts and seeds, as I stopped myself many times [laughs]. So here it is, my ‘no nuts’ Cranberry and Maple Granola. It is a healthy and boring breakfast option but hey, who could substitute any health benefit for an “enjoy now, pay later” meal huh?
Please do try to make it and I hope you will enjoy it. Send me your comments either here or on my social media pages:-)
410g Rolled Oats
1 Extra-large Egg White
Pinch of Salt
1 Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
70g (1/2Cup) Dried Cranberries
60ml Canola Oil
60g Coconut Oil
4 Tablespoons Dark Brown Sugar
85ml Maple Syrup
1\4 Cup Desiccated Coconut
30ml Cranberry Concentrate (optional)
- Preheat oven to 170℃
- In a small sauce pan, add canola oil, coconut oil, cinnamon, maple syrup, sugar and salt, then heat it on medium heat until the coconut oil completely melts – for about 3 minutes or 5 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl add oats and desiccated coconut, stir and then add the egg white and mix well.
- Pour in the oil and maple syrup mixture and mix well with a wooden spoon or spatula until everything is incorporated.
- Spray a large baking tray with a baking spray and put the granola mixture on the baking tray, then level it using a palette knife or spatula. Bake for 8 minutes.
- After 8 minutes take out the granola from the oven and stir (and level) to ensure even baking. Put it back and bake for 8 minutes, take it out then stir and level again.
- Add cranberries and scatter all over, mix and level the granola on the tray again.
- Put the granola back in the oven and bake for another 8 minutes. Take it out, then let it cool for about an hour or 2 hours before breaking it and placing it into an airtight container.
- Serve with plain yoghurt and honey or anyway you like.