It’s Easter Weekend and I would have loved to do all the Easter baking and cooking, nonetheless I’m unfortunately working this weekend. So, it’s business or weekend unusual for me. “Everyone” is on a long weekend holiday and enjoying Easter festivities, which forces me cook for one. And I thought I should make meal preps for myself for the next three days. Thus, making Orzo pasta, as it can stay longer in the fridge without going off.
Orzo is an Italian rice-shaped pasta and the word Orzo means “barley”. For those on diet, Orzo is said to be a good low-fat pasta option as it has one gram of fat per serving. Which means that, it can be paired with lots or protein and veggies – and you won’t have to feel guilty about your diet. I made mine creamy, with pecorino cheese and cream, since I was looking for a risotto form of a meal. It came out perfectly as I anticipated. My recipe serves four, and I hope you will enjoy it♥
4 Chicken Thighs
1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
1 Tablespoon Butter
Salt and Pepper
1\2 Teaspoon Cajun Spice (plus ¼ teaspoon)
2 Garlic Cloves, minced
1\3 Cup Leeks, chopped
1 Cup Kale, roughly chopped
10 Rosa Tomatoes
1 ½ Cups Chicken Stock
½ Cup Cream
½ Cup White Wine
1 Cup Orzo
42g Pecorino, grated
- Season chicken thighs with ½ teaspoon Cajun spice, salt and pepper. Drizzle with oil, rub and set aside.
- Chop leeks and kale, then mince garlic. Set aside.
- Cut tomatoes in halves. Set aside
- Heat a cast iron pan on low-medium heat until it’s hot.
- Sauté the chicken thighs on the pan for about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the pan and set aside.
- On the same pan, add butter, leeks and garlic, and sauté for about a minute.
- Add orzo, and stir, then add pecorino cheese, stir until everything is well incorporated. Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour in the chicken stock, cream and wine, then stir until the cream is well mixed.
- Add kale and stir. Then scatter the tomatoes on top and add chicken pieces. Close the pan with a lid and cook for 15 minutes.
- Open the lid and sprinkle the remaining Cajun spice on top of the chicken. Lower the heat, put back the lid and cook for 15 more minutes.