INSPIRED BY THE CAPE TOWN HEAT
Cape Town is so very hot these day and it’s getting difficult to stand over the stove for long. Hence, I’m trying out less complicated meals with the most minimum ingredients and the shortest time to cook. However, I don’t always win this battle, but today I did (YAY!). After a long day of trying to get my body to snap out of holiday laziness (of doing nothing and resting after) and go back to reality, I thought I should cook this vegetarian meal, which can also be served as a side. I love spinach and I particularly love it more when there’s a hint of cheese on it.
For me, spinach must dominate, as a result I seldom cook creamy spinach. In fact, I like all my veggies and salads to be clean as possible, no cream; contrariwise I don’t mind hard cheeses on selected veggies like spinach and carrots. I made this spinach with lots of flavourful ingredients and added chickpeas as a source of protein. However, I should mention that, if you are not used to nutmeg, rather use as little as possible or omit it as it can overpower the meal, and may overwhelm you. I hope everyone that has been asking for vegetarian options, will enjoy this and will keep trying to give you more options. And those who are not, like me, you may use this as a side.
200g Swiss Chard Spinach
100g Baby Spinach
400g Chickpeas, drained
20g Parmesan Cheese, grated
Sea Salt and Black Pepper
Pinch of Nutmeg (optional)
¼ Teaspoon Chili Flakes (optional)
1 Tablespoon Fresh Parsley
1 Teaspoon Fresh Sage
6 Salad Spring Onions, finely chopped
3 Garlic Cloves, minced
1 Tablespoon Butter
3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- Rinse and pat dry the spinach
- Heat a large pan on medium-high heat, when it’s hot enough, add oil and butter, followed by onion and garlic. Season with salt and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add parsley and sage, cook for 2 more minutes.
- Add all the spinach and let it wilt for about 2 minutes. Season with salt and nutmeg, stir and continue to cook for 6 more minutes.
- Add cheese, and cook until it melts (while stirring to combine) for about 3 minutes or so.
- Then finally add chickpeas, stir to combine and cook for 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle with chili flakes and serve.