Welcome to the New Year, and I hope you had an amazing holiday or you are still enjoying it. I had an amazing relaxed holiday after posting my free Christmas Special eBook, which was my gift to my blog and social media followers. I was such in a frenzy before posting it, a lot of things were going wrong, but finally I managed to complete it. So my holiday had to be the quietest holiday that did not involve cooking (let me rather say, I tried to stay away from the stove), which was a challenging task for me, I mean, by now you might have sort of picked up that is a near impossible task for me; however, I had to listen to the body. Nevertheless, I am now well rested and ready for this amazing year.
I must confess, much as I am an enthusiastic cook, breakfast is one of the things I never try to invest too much time in it, like I do with other meals and baking. However, I am strong believer of a healthy and sometimes boring breakfast. Believe me, my day-to-day breakfast meals are not even somewhat boring, but totally boring. So this morning, while I was perusing my book, thinking of what to eat after a cup of coffee, I realised that, I have all the ingredients to make a healthy granola. So I got up and plunked everything together and I was eating it 2 hours later.
One of the things I appreciated about making this granola in the past, was the high fibre in it as I added fibre bran to boost it. So if you have a slow metabolism system, this will help you, however note that, this is not based on any medical test but rather a personal experience, and might differ from person to person. I hope you enjoy it, and please do let me know about your experience in making it or eating.
2 Cups Rolled Oats
2 Egg Whites
½ Cup Pecan Nuts
½ Cup Flaked Almonds
¼ Cup Brazilian Nuts, roughly chopped
3 Tablespoons sesame seeds
1/3 Cup Dried Cranberries
¼ Cup Raisins
120ml Coconut Oil, melted
2 Tablespoons Caramel Sugar (optional)
3 Tablespoons Coconut Sugar
1/3 Cup Fibre Bran
45ml Sunflower Seeds
1/3 Cup Pumpkin Seeds
1 Cup Coconut Flakes
- Preheat oven to 190℃
- On a chopping board, roughly chop nuts, cranberries, and coconut flakes (if they’re too big). and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk egg whites, honey, coconut oil and sugars.
- Add oats, sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, cranberries, raisins, pumpkin seeds, fibre bran, nuts and coconut flakes then mix well until everything is incorporated.
- Put the mixture on a baking tray, and level it using a palette knife or spatula and bake for 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes take out the granola from the oven and stir (and level) to ensure even baking. Put it back and bake for 8 minutes, take it out then stir and level again.
- Put the granola back in the oven and bake for 2 to 3 minutes. Let it cool for about an hour or 2 hours before breaking it and placing it into an airtight container.
- Serve with plain yoghurt and honey or anyway you like.